VEGGIE NOODLE STIR-FRY
200g vermicelli noodles
Drizzle of sesame oil
½ red onion, diced 2cm
1 carrot, cut into thin matchsticks, about 7cm long or grated
1 red capsicum, core and seeds removed, sliced 1cm
1 head broccoli, florets finely chopped
2 baby bok choy, cut ends 1cm and then rinsed, sliced 1cm (separate stalks and leaves)
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
½ cup water
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
1 tablespoon cornflour mixed with 1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
500g salmon fillets
Bring a full kettle to the boil.
1. In a heat-proof bowl, pour boiling water over noodles and use a fork to separate strands. Leave for 5 minutes then drain. Drizzle with sesame oil to prevent sticking and use kitchen scissors to cut noodles in a few places to make them easier to eat.
2. In a pot, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, water, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar and ginger. Bring to a simmer on high heat then reduce heat to low-medium. Add cornflour/water mixture and simmer for 2–3 minutes until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat and stir through sesame seeds.
3. Heat a drizzle of oil in a fry-pan on medium-high heat. Pat salmon dry, remove any remaining scales or pin bones and cut into 4–5 pieces. Cook salmon, skin-side-down, for about 3 minutes, until skin is crispy. Flip and cook for a further 2 minutes for medium-rare, or until cooked to your liking.
4. Set aside, covered in foil, to rest for 2–3 minutes. Discard oil from pan and wipe clean with a paper towel. Return pan to high heat with another drizzle of oil.
5. Cook onion, carrot, capsicum and broccoli for about 3 minutes, until starting to soften. Add bok choy stalks and cook a further 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and toss through bok choy leaves and cooked noodles until combined.
TO SERVE Divide veggie noodle stir-fry between bowls, top with a piece of salmon and generously spoon teriyaki sauce over salmon and noodles.